Yes, that's correct ... drinking a cup or two of hot cocoa a day has health benefits! I always knew (dark) chocolate had its health benefits, but it never dawned on me that drinking hot chocolate also had health benefits!
Here's what I have learned:
- Chocolate helps to improve your mood.
- Chocolate is good for your heart; it is a rich source of flavonoid antioxidants that are important in protecting against damage to the lining of the arteries.
- Chocolate is associated with weight loss.
- Dark chocolate offers the greatest health benefits.
- Two cups of cocoa a day boost blood flow and oxygen to the brain, thus improving your memory.
- The "hot" in "hot chocolate" is important - more antioxidants are released when it's heated up.
So lets re-cap ... improved mood and memory, good for your heart and weight loss ... sounds good to me! However, there is one little catch - commercial instant hot cocoa mixes don't count.
Now the fun part, recipes! What are some of your favorite 'healthy' hot chocolate recipes?