Monday, September 16, 2013

Blogger things I have been Sucking at...!

As you may or may not have noticed, I have been a bad blogger these past several months. June, July and August to be specific. To name a few things that I have been sucking at: irregular or lack of posting, lack of replies to comments on my blog, and basically no commenting on other blogs. 

While I could easily write an entire post about my excuses (...I have been working lots, we had family in town visiting for a few weeks, and the weather has been really nice...), I thought it would be more beneficial/helpful to write about a few of the blogger things I have been sucking at and how I am fixing it so that I am not a 'bad' blogger. Sound good..? Excellent..!


1. Consistent posting.

The key to being a 'good' blogger is consistent posting. In June I posted twenty-one times, July dropped down to eleven posts, and August only saw a mere nine posts. It's only half-way through September and I am already at twelve posts; I am getting there...! So, now that I am getting back into the swing of things, I have started brainstorming on a scrap piece of paper and planning my blog posts in advance in my agenda. On occasion, I even schedule a blog post to be posted at a later date. If planning your blog posts isn't something you currently do, I recommend that you start! To learn more about planning blog posts, check out 'trade secrets: how we plan blog posts' by A Beautiful Mess. It's a great post full of some very helpful tips!

2. Reading other blogs.

A 'good' blogger must also be a blog reader (and commenter, but I will get into that next). Now that Google Reader is no longer, my go-to wevsite/app to follow/read other blogs is via Bloglovin'. I hate to admit this, but during the summer months, the number of unread blog posts I had from all the blogs I follow was reaching +5000. Yes, five-thousand! Unfortunately, I don't have the time to read all those posts so I decided to do some house-cleaning on my bloglovin' account and unfollowed a bunch of blogs that were no longer active, or that I was no longer interested in. Initially, I felt really bad, but after reading Chelsea's post about 'why unfollowing is okay', I didn't feel as bad.. #sorrynotsorry

3. Commenting on other blogs.

During the summer months, I would be surprised if I left more than five comments (in total) on all the blogs I follow. Horrible, I know! The thing is, when I read a blog post that I really like, or inspires me, I like to leave a meaningful comment. I also like to 'like' the post in my bloglovin' or add to my google chrome favorites. Commenting on the blogs you follow/other blogs is a essential form of networking/building relationships with other bloggers. This is one area I still need to work on - not just leaving comments, but leaving meaningful comments. Kate from Diaries of an Essex Girl recently shared 5 tips on 'how not to suck at blog comments' that is super helpful!

On a side note: Lisette from Northern Belle Diaries has a great post on reasons 'why you should comment on WordPress blogs' ... just like Lisette point out, I always avoid commenting on WordPress blogs because of those extra fields to fill out. Little did I realize the potential benefits.

4. Responding to blog comments.

Did you know that there is a 'right' and 'wrong' way to respond to comments? Thankfully this is one thing I learned early on when I started blogging. On a bad day, I am really bad and don't often reply for a few days, or maybe even longer. However, on a good day, I try my hardest to reply the 'right' way ... that is, through email and on my blog. Replying via email allows you to build relationships with other bloggers, and replying on my blog allows for others to see that I have replied. When I am leaving a comment on another blog, I like to see that the author has taken the time to reply. Sometimes its fun reading their reply to another blogger's comments!

My trick? It's quite simple .... copy (ctrl + c) and paste (ctrl + v)! Normally I type out my reply in blogger, then copy and past it into my email reply. It takes maybe an extra few seconds. If you aren't sure how to set up your comments so that you can reply via email, Nadine offers some excellent advise on 'how to respond to blog comments the wrong way' and how to change the settings in your blogger account!

Well, there you have it... all of the blogger things I have been sucking at, and what I have been trying to do to fix them..! Hopefully I am not alone? Any other tips/advise/suggestions?

13 comments:

  1. Hi there, I am following along from the Peacoats and Plaid blog hop. I will be adding your link to my sidebar as well :] You have a fantastic blog here and I look forward to reading more. Cheers to new friends :]

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to reply via blog and then switched to E-mail. Now thinking I need to do both. Thanks for the tips! And welcome back to consistency :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once you get into the habit of doing both, it really doesn't take that much longer! Good luck, and thank you!!

      Delete
  3. Hi, Chelsea! I'm visiting you from The Collective and a new follower on Bloglovin. I struggle with all of those too especially leaving comments on other blogs so thanks for the tips.

    Misty @ TheBarnPrincess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Misty, thanks for stopping by and following! Hope the tips can be of assistance! :)

      Delete
  4. I suck at some of those things too, ha ha. This is a great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the general consensus is that we all do! ha ha!

      Delete
  5. Chelsea! I think it's great what you're trying to do! While blogging is something I do for me, part of the me in that is the community I've developed with other bloggers! It's hard and scary when we start out, like being in a new school! But you're so right on all these topics! Thanks for sharing about how to respond properly because I've always just replied on my blog comments! I'm totally avid about clicking to get emailed about follow up comments! I hope you're able to find joy in this bloggy world!
    Shana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shana! I agree, it's definitely scary when starting out! I have never thought of it as like being in a new school, but it definitely is ... great comparison!! Anyways... I am glad my post can be of assistance.

      Delete
  6. Interesting blogging tips! :)

    Hello, I am blog hopping today and I'm happy I found your blog. I wanted to invite you to visit a blog I just recently started as well at http://www.joyfulhomeandlife.com, it launches on 09/30/2013 (if you'll click on the "New Here" link you will find the links to follow us, including following the blog via GFC/"Google Friend Connect" on Blogspot).

    The website is going to contain many decorating ideas, topics on faith, recipes, FREEbies and printables, and more and I have teamed up with many talented writers on there to post entries in regards to these topics and more. Please visit (and if you would like to subscribe via e-mail to receive updates on new content posted on the website we welcome you to do that as
    well). We are also on Facebook at: http://facebook.com/joyfulhomeandlife (please like and share the page) and if you're on
    Twitter we are at: http://twitter.com/joyfulhomenlife (please follow us there)! :)

    Thanks and have a great day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Over the summer, I did all of these things.
    Then again, I WANTED to blog, but didn't have a laptop and blogging on your phone is just no bueno.

    By the way. Visiting from the Collective.
    New Follower. :]

    Caitlyn | enigmaticambiance.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I could not imagine blogging on my phone. Even though there is a sweet app for it (for the iPhone), its not the same! Thanks for stopping by and following! Have a great week :)

      Delete