Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Good to Know // Handling Criticism.


How do you handle criticism? 

More often than not, I have a tough time handling criticism. For me, my reaction varies depending on who I am receiving it from. Normally, my first reaction is to become defensive, and my second reaction is to become quiet.  

I stumbled upon this great post from Positively Positive, 6 Tips for Handling Criticism. 

1. Listen to What a Critic Is Saying 
2. Don’t Be Defensive 
3. Don’t Expose Myself to Criticism from People I Don’t Respect 
4. Delay my Reaction 
5. Admit my Mistakes 
6. Enjoy the Fun of Failure

To read more about the strategies, jump over to the Positively Positive website. Are there any other strategies that you use that you find useful? I think my favorite strategy is number six -- enjoy the fun of failure. As I've previously mentioned, I fear failure and learning to re-frame failure and criticism is something I need to work on. 

4 comments:

  1. I like this! Great advice. I totally agree, I usually get defensive and then quiet... and then I beat myself up over it. lol I think one thing that is extremely important, especially when you are in leadership because you are ALWAYS going to have a critic, but knowing who the criticism is coming from. If you don't respect their opinion any other time, why would you take their opinion to heart about you?
    Coming by from the Wednesday link up. Already a follower :)
    Dalayna
    www.dalaynadillon.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree 100%! Thanks for sharing, I tend to do the exact same as you - I'm now following your blog as well! Have a great week!!

      Delete
  2. New GFC follower. I'd love it if you could link up to Weekend Blog Walk this weekend- starts Friday at noon central. http://www.athometake2.com Hope to see you there!

    Jessica @ At Home Take 2

    ReplyDelete