Thursday, August 30, 2012

Blogging // Pinterest.

"Pinterest lets you organize and share all the beautiful things you find on the web. People use pinboards to plan their weddings, decorate their homes, and organize their favorite recipes." -- pinterest.

I love pinterest, its such a great idea.

More and more, I am noticing that photos I embed into my blog posts, from pinterest, are not showing up after I publish the post. Usually they show up for the first few days, but sometimes, after a short period of time, the image is no longer visible on my blog. Its as if the image has been removed from the pin. Yet, when I visit linked pin, the image is still visible on my pinterest board. I'm confused. Surely I am not the only blogger who has discovered this issue?

For the past few days I have been trying to find more information on this and how to fix it. Call me a perfectionist, but I don't like sharing images on my blog that aren't going to show up a month from now. And, I find it annoying to go back and update my blog posts just so the images show up (Yes, I am weird like that). My search for answers has not turned up anything; instead, I have lots of questions and concerns about this popular website. 

I have found a bunch of other blog posts discussing the issues with pinterest and copyright issues regarding people re-pinning other peoples images. This is what I have found so far:

1. When you share your original photos on your blog, for example, and somebody else pin's your photo onto their pinterest boards, you no longer have control over that image, pinterest does. When the image is pinned, it gets saved onto the pinterest's servers. From what I understand, and I could be wrong, is that once your image is pinned, pinterest owns the image and could essentially re-sell it if they chose to do so.

Any personal photos that I share on my blog have my name visible on the photo and are sourced to my flickr account. I am now thinking twice about how I share them, and what  information is on the photos. I was thinking it would be smart to include your name and your website.

Another solution, if you do not what your images pinned, you can include some code to the <head> section of your website.
<meta name="pinterest" content="nopin" />

2. Lots of people are finding pins from the pinterest "popular" section and are re-creating the idea through their blog posts. Apparently a lot of websites are making money from doing this. As well, there are a lot of websites/blogs that are not giving credit where credit is due.

When sharing images on your blog, I think its important to link back to the original source, rather than to pinterest directly. When I first started adding photos from pinterest to my blog, I would copy the image url and add it through the insert image icon. I recently discovered that when you "embed" an image onto your blog from pinterest, it includes source information, along with a link to your personal pinterest boards.

I have found a lot of great websites through pinterest, so overall, I think the idea of pinning images is great. Going forward, I am going to make sure that when I share my finds on my personal blog, the image is linked back to its source. I am also going to think twice about how I share my own personal images.

I still have some more investigating to do, but would love to hear your thoughts/comments about these issues!! Happy almost Friday! 

8 comments:

  1. Hey girl, thanks for joining in on the Friday Chaos blog party! So glad you linked up with us, and I get to follow you! Wahoo!
    I also wanted to let you know about a coffee mug swap that I am hosting. It is a different spin on the idea that lets you get to know other bloggers better. And you get a pretty new mug just in time for fall! Score! Friday is the last day to sign up and I would absolutely love to have you. I am hoping to get 50 swappers, the more the merrier! Here is where you can get all the deets and sign up to join: http://yellowumbrelladesign.blogspot.com/2012/08/coffee-mug-swap.html
    Love bloggin' with ya. Talk to you soon :D
    Dalayna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Pinterest! It is scary after you read all of the fine lines. I plan on not pinning anything from my blog without having my blog address for credit at the bottom. I looked all over the place for a code to prevent pinning of any image having my childrens faces in them. I completely understand the perfectionist thing and I'm weird like that too. I am glad you shared that code, because I searched for something for a bit. I haven't had problems yet with my pinned blog photos. I wish you luck on your search, and hope you find a solution. Thanks for sharing, it is much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I forgot to point out that I am already a follower. I am hopping over from Friday Chaos.
    Hope you will follow me back at http://www.onecreativeprocrastinatinggal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I am now following your blog! Your lasagna photos look really tasty!!!

      Delete
  4. I love Pinterest! I've become slightly addited
    Thanks for linking up at Friday Chaos this week
    Have a nice weekend
    Kerry

    ReplyDelete
  5. Were the images that disappeared one's you host on your pc or one's you copied in, say, from Google or other source? I have not had problems where the image is uploaded from my pc ( even if it originally came from somewhere else) . Good luck with your researches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the images I have re pinned from other people. The weird part is that some of them will stop showing up on my blog, but when I click on them and it takes me to pinterest, the image is still visible. I have no idea!

      Delete
  6. Thanks April! I am now following you as well.

    ReplyDelete